Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kai baby

It seems like I haven't blogged once about our little boy, Kai.  I feel terrible about being a mom second time around - things are not less special, per se, but less note-worthy, as I've seen it/done it before.  Besides, with a toddler walking around, doing new and cute things all day long, it's hard to mention the little one who sleeps and eats most of the day. :)

But he's been a pretty good baby so far.  He definitely does seem to have a different personality than Alaise.  At first, I was concerned, because the nurses and the pediatrician at the hospital told us that he had a temper and was very fussy.  They said he may be lactose intolerant, and gave him soy formula while we were there.  So we came home, and for a couple of days, practically all he did was sleep.  (What do you mean, he's fussy?)  Then the fussiness came.  I really think something was bothering him, maybe it was the formula, maybe it was something else.  But even after he ate, he was fussy, and he never seemed happy.

About a week afterward, though, he settled down.  Whatever was bothering him seemed to have disappeared, or at least lessened.   He was a lot less alert than Alaise was at that age - Alaise had her eyes wide open from the moment she was born, and she was very awake and alert even as a newborn.  He kept his eyes closed a lot, and slept a lot more.  He seems to be quieter and less social...  But also has a sharper temper, maybe.  When Alaise was hungry, especially in the middle of the night, she would whine and fuss for a while before building up to a cry...  Kai stirs, waking up, and fusses for about (literally) two seconds before he is all out bawling.  I have to react faster, in order to keep the rest of the house sleeping. :)

He seems to like baths, just like his sister did.  He's gotten SO cute these days, as his features are getting more defined, his eyes bigger, and his skin is clearing up a bit.  He has a ton of hair, and I love to spike it up after washing his hair, because it dries that way.  (Yes, I actually have to wash his hair.  With lots of soap.)  He's a big baby, but as I noted just yesterday, he's not a fat baby.  He can already manage to wear some 6-9 month clothing, but he's not really fat, as I've seen some babies.  He doesn't have fat rolls anywhere, really, besides his chubby cheeks and chin.  He's just... big.  He's also had pretty good neck control from the day he was born.

He naps pretty well, although he fusses some when he's tired.  But he falls asleep in his crib with the paci well, and he seems to like the Boppy swing, that Alaise didn't really get to use much.  (She uses it plenty now - I'm afraid it will break soon, as she loves to plop down in it.  I don't think it's meant for a 21 lb toddler.)  He is adamant about when he wants the paci and when he doesn't - when he doesn't, he will gag on it, and get very angry!  I don't remember Alaise being that way with the paci.  He nurses well, and breastfeeding has been SO much better than last time, although I think my milk supply just isn't enough.  <sigh>

I can usually manage to nap them at the same time in the morning & afternoon, which gives all of us an hour to an hour and a half of quiet time around the house.  (These times are TREASURED, I tell you!)  And I start their bath/bedtime routine around 7:30-8:00, and can usually have them both sleeping by 8:30-9:00.  Not bad, huh?

Anyway.  I've been cherishing his baby-ness, as I think he'll be the last baby of mine that I get to hold.  He's started to smile, which is adorable...  I find myself cooing at him and looking into his eyes.  I love to kiss and rub his wonderfully yummy cheeks, and love to run my fingers through his hair.  I can't wait to see him grow up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment