Thursday, October 28, 2010

information overload

Internet is a funny thing.  It's become such a huge huge part of the society - it's where people go to connect, to find information, to work, to game to... pretty much everything.  With Google, I can find recipes in a few seconds and with Amazon, I can order books, so they conveniently arrive on my doorstep.  With Skype, I can talk to my parents almost daily, and show them my baby who is growing so fast.  My mom used to mention when we first started doing this - "Oh my, the world has changed so much.  Who knew?"

Who knew.  Internet is an integral part of my life, and of my husband, who works from home.  He chats & talks to his co-workers from home, and he loves it.

I find that Internet is also a source of information overload for me.  Kris loves watching random YouTube videos...  I hate it.  He reads up on BBC headlines almost every day.  All I manage to do is read up on a couple of blogs that I follow, and Facebook.  Too much information just clutters my mind, and I don't find it fun to be browsing for random information.

After I became a mom, though, researching sort of became important.  There are SO many issues out there, and really, the best place for finding out information was the internet.  It's not like I was gonna call Alaise's pediatrician on a daily basis to ask this and that.  So I start listening to other people's opinions...  Reading up on their reasoning, etc.  Then I find out that there are usually two camps of people on most issues, and their opinions vary tremendously.  Overloaded, again.  Way too much information.  I wish making choices as a mom was simpler.  Like asking my mom, or Kris' mom, and doing what our parents did.  But the world changes so much every day, and if I don't keep up with it, I am making my choices blindly.

I envy mothers who are so sure of their opinions...  Who KNOW what they believe, who can site all the sources that they trust.  Not only moms, I guess, but people in general.  People who are so certain of their positions, to go as far as calling people who don't believe the same "irresponsible".  Not to say it's a good thing to call other people irresponsible, but to be so sure of their choice in an issue.  I envy them.  I find that I can't process all the information I come across - I get overwhelmed, and it makes my brain shut down...  It becomes very stressful.

The only thing I am sure of, as a mother, is to raise my children in my and my husband's faith.  To raise them to believe in God, and Jesus as a savior.  That's about it.  All the other stuff?  Well.  I guess I'll just have to do my best...  I can't say I'll be making the right choices each time.  But I do promise, that I'll do the best I can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment